HISTORY SALFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT 1635 - 1938
1635 The first record of fire fighting in Salford was stated as 12 leather
buckets, 2 hooks for pulling down thatch from roofs and 2 long ladders.
The equipment was kept at Trinity Church where the fire bell was also
By 1824, the Engines were kept at the rear of the Police Offices, Hardings Buildings, Chapel Street. Ten years later they were on the move again. This time to Lamb Lane, Chapel Street. The Engines were horse drawn and required members of the public to assist the Firemen with the hand pumps. They would be paid with quantities of Ale but, as this led to fights, they were issued with armplates and when these were returned to the Engine House, they would receive payment.
There was a Conductor of the Engines, his Assistant and 12 Firemen.
Over the years the Fire Engine Department came under several Committees.
Salford, Pendleton and Broughton were 3 separate districts with their
own Fire Brigades.
The Salford Improvement Act of 1862, gave the Council powers to maintain
Over a period of time, Salford Fire Brigade would give fire cover to
1871 Salford, Pendleton and Broughton Fire Brigades amalgamated. Broughton had a small Brigade Station at Broughton Town Hall, but also continued with its Volunteer Brigade. The Fire Engine at Pendleton was named 'Trent' and stationed at the Pendleton Town Hall. The men were now full time Police Firemen. Over the next few years, hand hose carts and escapes were to be distributed to the Police Stations and the Constables given elementary fire drills.
A new Fire Station was built in Ford Street, in 1873, next to the Town Hall. Five years later, Salford bought its first Steam Fire Engine which was a 'Shand Mason' delivering 450 gpm.
1883 The Broughton Volunteer Brigade amalgamated with Salford. Salford Fire Brigade now gave fire cover to Swinton and Pendlebury. Within a few years fire cover was extended to Eccles and Barton Upon Irwell.
1892 A second Steam Fire Engine was purchased which was a Merry weather 'Greenwich' type of 750 gpm.
1893 Superintendent Albert Bentley had organised a brigade workshop and invented the idea of mounting a telescopic escape on a hose tender. Chief Officers from around Britain came to Salford to see the appliance. The Ship Canal was completed and a Sub-Station was built in New Park Road, off Trafford Road. The Station was equipped with electric lights and Superintendent Bentley's patent electric harnessing device. All other Salford Fire Stations were also equipped in this manner.
1896-1904 Superintendent Bentley designed underground water fire tanks and 30 of these were built around high risk areas of the city where the water supply was poor. In 1889, Superintendent Bentley was made the first Chief Officer of Salford Fire Brigade. A third Steam Fire Engine was purchased, another Merryweather Greenwich type.
1902 A chemical Fire Engine carrying 50 gallons of water was purchased for immediate fire fighting in areas of poor water supply. The Brigade workshops then built their own with a wheeled escape mounted at the rear.
1903 Chief Officer Bentley and the brigade moved into the new Central
Fire Station at Albion Place, the Crescent. Fire cover was extended to
Prestwich and the running of the ambulances was taken over from the police.
Again many visitors from other brigades came to see the new station and
the underground fire tanks.
By the end of 1914 there were 2 motor hose tenders, a motor police van and another motor ambulance. Indeed, many of the Ambulances and Police Vans were constructed by the Fire Department, including some Fire Tenders. In 1921, a new Morris Motor Fire Engine with an 80 foot escape was purchased but this was soon reduced to 60 foot. A Leyland Fire Engine with Ajax Ladder was also bought. Two years later, Salford bought a Morris Magirus 85 foot turntable ladder.
1928 saw a new Ambulance House built down one side of Albion Place and
a year later,
1930 Pendleton and Broughton Sub-Fire Stations were closed down, and within the next nine years, 4 new motor Fire Engines would be purchased.
1938 The Brigade consisted of 1 Chief Superintendent, 1 Chief Inspector, 2 Inspectors, 3 Sergeants and 32 Firemen who were on continuous duty with one day off in seven.
1938 Recruitment for the Auxiliary Fire Service began
Bob Atkinson Fireman Retired - Salford Fire Department
Email: - email@example.com
HISTORY SALFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT
1635 - 1938